So one thing I have noticed lately is that I only own drugstore foundation. I have owned and tried some more expensive foundations in the past and I own a variety of high end makeup in general but I never actually purchase high end foundations anymore. My reason for this is that I can't justify it. I love my drugstore foundations (have you guessed my favourite brand yet?) and they do the same job. I feel like it could just be that I haven't found the high end foundation for me yet, but I'm pretty satisfied in the drug store. The one thing that would sway me to spend more on my foundation would be the effect it has on my skin. If I found a foundation that was truly beneficial to my skin then I would give it a go. As I have always suffered with pimples I'm very conscious of how my skin reacts to my makeup. I would also like to try some more natural brands.
1. The first foundation I want to talk about is one of my more recent finds. The Maybelline - Superstay Better Skin in 005 Light Beige is a new favourite. It states that it will reduce redness and clear imperfections and contains an Actyl-C Formula which is a derivitive of Vitamin C. It also contains a combination of Vitamin B5, septonic M3, Magnesium, Zinc and Copperhydrates. These ingredients supposedly help to regenerate the skin, even discoloured and dull areas and plump skin. (source) My skin has been better recently but I don't know if I would contribute a lot of that to this foundation as I've been improving a variety of aspects of my life. I will do a full review of this soon as I feel like I have too much to say!
2. The Rimmel - Wake Me Up Foundation in 100 Ivory and 103 True Ivory is one that's been repurchased many, many times. I'm surprised I haven't done a full reveiw on this previously but I will give a short explanation on why I love it. It's a semi-dewy foundation. It's not incredibly shiny but it gives a lovely glow! It's another foundation that is supposed to help your skin and I don't find it irritating at all even though it's a light to medium coverage. It's definitely a buildable foundation as well which is what I like. It can be too dark for me without a tan however. Pale girl problems!
3. This is my least favourite foundation in my collection but it's a good one to have in the draw I guess. I used to like the Rimmel - Stay Matte Liquid Mousse Foundation in 081 Fair Ivory and 100 Ivory a lot and I'm not sure if I changed the way I use it or if I have a different preference now. It's very, very thick and gives a high coverage. I do like it when I use it properly as it's very matte so I don't need to powder and I don't really use concealer with it either. It can be hard to blend and with not many colours in the range I don't really feel I can match it perfectly to me. I don't want to trash too much as it is good, just not my favourite.
4. The original Rimmel - BB 9 in 1 Cream in Light was something I used to purchased a lot, currently it's just been sitting there. I still don't mind it but I prefer the matte version. Check out my review from last year here.
5. The Rimmel - Matte BB Cream in Light is the second BB Cream from Rimmel and is so far my favourite. I reviewed it here last year as well, but I'll do a quick recap. It's not too matte, so some people may find that annoying, I still powder it but it's definitely not dewy. It's very light, quick and easy to blend and perfect for day to day. Main issue with both the original and the matte is the lack of shades. Both the Light in the original and the matte are a tad too dark when I don't have a tan.
6. The latest Rimmel BB Cream to be released is the Rimmel - Radiance BB Cream in Very Light. It won my vote instantly because it came in a couple of extra shades (still too few) but the very light is a little too fair for me. I'm more of a matte foundation person but I do like this when powdered if I'm feeling a little dull. My favourite combo at the moment however is to mix the Matte BB Cream and the Radiance BB cream together to make a much better match in colour. It also has a lovely end finish as it tones down the radiance a little but still adds a lovely glow!
|Left to Right: Maybelline Superstay Better Skin in 005 Light Beige - Rimmel Wake me Up in 100 Ivory - Rimmel Stay Matte in 081 Fair Ivory - Rimmel BB Cream in Light - Rimmel Matte BB Cream in Light - Rimmel Radiance BB Cream in Very Light|
I've been a bit stuck on Rimmel foundations for the past couple of years so I definitely need to break out of that. I find the foundations I've picked up tend to have some kind of claim to benefit the skin in some way. Obviously the Rimmel - Stay Matte is an exception! It's really important to me to not irritate my skin or my pimples as it can really get me down. Any suggestions on new ones to try are always welcome!
Thanks for reading!